Friday, April 6, 2012

Percy Harold and Bessie Morgan Rex - letters written Sept. 15, 1936.

Old South Rich High School.  Completed in 1916, the old high school served for 32 years. Though aesthetically beautiful the building suffered severe mechanical difficulties. Randolph a Look Back, pg. 173


Randolph, Utah
Sept. 15, 1936

My dear Missionary Boy,

I am sitting in front of the stove with my tale on my knee. Rather familiar position for me, isn’t it. But really, it is cold. Last night came a blighting frost. It took nearly all my flowers. One mustn’t complain, however, as this has been a beautiful summer, & winter must come some time.

We received your letter of Aug. 15 yesterday. It took it a week longer to get here, or else you held it a few days. We were so glad to get it tho’. Note what you say, about your money. We send it every month around the 28th. Can’t understand how it is you waited a whole month for one payment. I’m afraid $20 is hardly enough, and I shall try to see that you get more. Money is like goodness in the world. There doesn’t seem to be much of it. Daddy & Jack McK are working out at the field today. They ran the cement into the frames for the new

It took nearly two years to complete the old high school, shown here under construction. 
Randolph, A Look Back, pg. 172.

building last Sat. & are waiting for it to dry. The two boys are in school. Morgan is very much in earnest & is not going to get a C this year. I think Maeser is going to like Glen very much.

Must tell you – the Ward has helped some – but I am not sure how much – with your expenses. I’m sure tho’ that your father will have to get some this month as Helen has pain her dues for this month & that is what we usually send to you. Will let you know how much.

We didn’t go on our trip, dearie. Maybe it is just as well. Such trips do me up so. But I should certainly like to get out in the world all right.

I am so glad you are getting along so well with your German. Helen says, however that you mustn’t burden us with too much Scripture reading when you come home.

Mutual opening was last night. Helen says it was a success. Sis. Norris has asked her to be in the Stake Board. I think she will for this winter but next Spring she goes to California.

There was a boy here from Evanston, running the mixer, which they borrowed from Evanston – ‘Bob Hill. He thinks Clara is a very nice girl & thinks there are quite a few boys in Evanston who think so too. We laughed & said “That’s what Harold is afraid of.”

Listen, before you write to the girls, have you written to Bro. Larsen; Matilda Jones—did I tell you she came in with a dollar for you?—and don’t you neglect your sister in S.L. She is a darling girl, and loves to hear from you. She writes the nicest letter home, so I know she does the same to you. Aunt Gail wrote and told me they surely like her at the hospital & she hoped Gail got along as well as Winnie.

Dear me,  I have about run out of gab. Nothing much happens in this old town. Tomorrow is a Stake excursion to the Logan temple & Uncle Will wants us to go, but I’m afraid we can’t Daddy is so busy & I have 7 to cook for.

I think it is a good idea to write to Mr. Murray. I do hope you go back to school. Did we tell you Mal Pickett & Alto & Willa are going to the B. Y. [Brigham Young University] Reed K. is going to the A [Utah State Agricultural College]. Helen says she is sure you could get something to do at school.

The boys showed their calves at 4H Club day last Sat. Morgan’s came first ahead of Ross Jackson. Maeser’s needs fattening. There will be no fair this year. They thot it better to not have one. And it is just as well, with this building program on. 25 men worked there Sat.

It is the next morning. We received your other letter last evening. You see, you registered one and not the other. It takes a week longer when you don’t register them, but dearie, they come all right. You better not spend the money.

I could grin at the difference in your ideas and some others. What is it? Country & city ideas I’ll wager.
Tell us, can we send American money all right. We have been holding a dollar to send for Mrs. Jones. I’m afraid old Lu won’t win anything for you this summer.

I wish we could send the money for a typewriter. I know you need one. You do need practice with your handwriting too. No insinuations, my dear.

Will hurry & get this off this morning. It froze hard last night. We surely have a nice crop of potatoes out here tho’.

I think I told you last week that Helen was going to write. She is still saying it so—well I think she will so expect one right after this.

Mr. Murrays Name & address: D. P. Murray. Extension Service. Utah State Agricultural College. Logan, Utah.

Well, dearie, daddy will write a few lines on the other side. And now I shall finish. Take good care of yourself and make good use of your time. We always are thinking of you & praying for the Lord’s blessings on you.

Love and kisses from all
Auf Wiedersehen, Mother.
My Dear Boy in the Land of the sunny South. I hope you are well as it leaves us at present.  I enjoy your letters very much and Pray you may have the spirit of the Lord in your labors. It is beginning to feel like fall up here now the flowers have all frozen the last two nights.

I had better close now as I have to be at work on the Building in a few minutes. I will write more next time we have the hay and part of the grain cut. May the Lord Bless you at all times is the Prayer of your Daddy.                                

No comments:

Post a Comment