Wednesday, August 5, 2009

John Hamilton Morgan Journal 1887, Aug 8-14

1887
August 8
At home. This is my Forty-fifth birthday, which I spent most agreeably with my family.

August 9
Wrote and read during the day, at home. In the evening, went to William Burbidges [perhaps William Burbidge in the 17th Ward] where I stayed tonight.

August 10
Remained at B’s [probably Burbidges] during the a.m. At noon, Mellie drove up and took me to brother H. [Horace] Eldredges to attend Seventies council. Presidents Eldredge [Horace S. Eldredge], Gates [Jacob Gates], Cannon [Abraham H. Cannon], and Young [Seymour B. Young], also clerk Campbell [unknown]; considerable business was transacted. After adjournment, went home.

August 11
Made preparation today to leave that city. Had my valise packed, and at 4 p.m. boarded the Utah Central train and safely made my way to Nephi where I landed at 8 p.m. in heavy rain. Drove to Bishop [David King] Udalls where I stayed tonight.

August 12
After breakfast, walked out and M. Charles Andrews [unknown] took me in his buggy about town. Called on brother Jackson [unknown] and had dinner at Bishop Udalls and at 2:25 p.m. boarded Central train for Springville, where I arrived at 4 p.m. Drove up to N. H. [Nicholas Harmon] Groesbecks where I met my family.

August 13
Spent the day with the folks in the house one or two parties called on me. In the evening visited Cornelia Groesbeck [Nicholas Harmon Groesbeck’s 2nd wife 1869].

In the p.m. drove to Spanish Fork and called on brother Neil Gardiner [unknown].

August 14
Most of the morning was spent with brother O. Huntington [perhaps Oliver B. Huntington]. At 1:30 p.m. boarded D. and R. G. train for Colorado. Got a sleeping berth and made myself comfortable.

(This post concludes an 1887, Jul 25-Aug 14 portion of the John Morgan Journal, Marriott Library, University of Utah.)

Seventies

The Happy Birthday Father birthday card was for a different father (Percy Harold Rex (1889-1977). I scanned it from the card in John Hamilton Morgan's daughter's (Bessie Morgan Rex 1891-1938) scrapbook. Note: it is approximately 85 miles from Salt Lake City to Nephi, Utah.

No comments:

Post a Comment