Wednesday, December 2, 2015

And then I went to my sewing. A little from Elizabeth Thompson Groesbeck's journal.


This 1882 picture by Sydney P. Hall of North American Indians being baptized appears to have originated here

On the 1st day of March, 1875 great great grandmother Elizabeth Groesbeck wrote in her journal that her relief society president, Sister Hide (Marinda Nancy Johnson Hyde, president of the 17th Ward Relief Society) asked her to sew some clothing for the Indians “to go threw the house.”

While transcribing Elizabeth Thompson Groesbeck’s journal it was presumed she was referring to the Endowment House.

Page 1 1875
Monday March 1st helpt to do the washing and in the afternoon Sister Hide [Hyde] called on me and wanted me to help fix sum close for the Indians to go threw the house [Endowment House] 

Journal entries from Frederick Kesler, a mill-wright and bishop of the Salt Lake 16th Ward, in this Juvenile Instructor blog post by J. Stapley, indicate he was building a house and font for the Lamanites.
[Frederick] Kesler's March 20 [1875] entry simply states: "Looking after materials for indian House & font to Baptising them in[.]" In the following days Kesler secured wood, piping, and the services of carpenters to construct this house and font. Then on Sunday, March 28, Kesler attended the dedicatory services for the font. I'm not exactly sure why they didn't use the endowment house font, in which Kesler frequently baptized people (first baptisms as well as for the renewal of covenants). The details about this font are, however, liturgical gold. At the end of the dedicatory details, Kesler notes that it was "the first Font build & Dedicated by the Holy priesthood for the Baptizing of the remnants of Jacob in this last dispensation & by myself[.]" In the following days, Kesler records baptizing in it.
Continuing with Elizabeth's journal
Page 2 March 1875

Wedens 3rd helpt with the work in the morning then I went to help make sum dreses for the Lamonits [Lamanites]

Thursday 4th  don sum sewing and then I went to the relief society and after I returned Ann cum over and tuck me to the book store and I paid six dolers for the books I had bot

Friday 5th Sarah Birbedg cum over and staid all day  Mis Cook cald to settle sum disabell fealins [disagreeable feelings] with Rosena

Saturday 6th done the baking and cleaning and then I went to my sewing but did not domutch before I had comeney cum in.

No comments:

Post a Comment