Friday, June 20, 2014

Tunnel Hill, Varnell Station, and Dalton, Georgia. April 2014.

Trip to Georgia and Tennessee concluded here. Entries from John Hamilton Morgan's journal are included.

Tunnell Hill, Whitfield County, Georgia.

September 16, 1878 - Wrote a little, read some and drove over to Varnells station and beyond where I got my boots fixed.

September 17, 1878 - Went to see Mr. Huffaker today. Held a long talk with him on the principles of the Gospel. Meeting tonight, full house and good attention, and I think we are moving something. 

Tunnell Hill, Georgia was abloom with flowers, sunshine and a clear blue sky the morning we visited. The slow moving pace of life there didn't call for guard rails at this train crossing.

Unnamed church at Tunnell Hill

September 18, 1878 -  Wrote and visited among the folks and held meeting on the 20th, stayed all night with Mr. Henry Holstine, P. O. Varnells Station, Georgia. Drove to Tunnell Hill and feel that things are moving up.

Tunnell Hill, Georgia. 

September 22, 1878 - Held meeting at 11 a.m. Good attendance and the spirit of God to lead us; a good impression made.

September 23 - Drove over to the station and visited some.

Varnell Station rail road crossings were the only in the area I saw with crossing arms. Slow paced with numerous churches, I snapped pictures of the few indicators of where we were.

Varnell Station was important in Joseph Standing's missionary service in 1878-9 and is further explained at the Ancestor Files and here on earlier posts.

The following pictures were taken at the Joseph Standing Memorial Park in Dalton, Georgia. Without our kind friend chauffeuring us, we'd have never found it. Notwithstanding the wonderful directions on the Amateur Mormon Historian, which I had with me.

A beautiful sacred spot in the midst of woods and confusing, winding roadways. 

We considered it miraculous we arrived and could visit there.

This memorial park and monument honor the memory of Elder Joseph Standing of Salt Lake City, Utah, a missionary of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (Mormon) who was killed here by a mob July 21, 1879. His companion, Elder Rudger Clawson, who later became President of the Council of the Twelve Apostles of the Church was unharmed.

The cooperation of W. C. Puryear and family who donated the land and were most helpful in other was, made this memorial possible.

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints May 1952

The site is presently well cared for and must serve members in the area
 and visitors like us with a beautiful destination and retreat.

A clump of watercress was growing in a tiny drainage stream running across the park.

This old broken marker must be as old as the tragedy itself.

Joseph Standing's body was purportedly taken to the Stover family home near Dalton where it was cared for, and prepared for the journey back to Salt Lake City, Utah and home. This cove housing an old pond and mill may be where the Stovers were living at that time.

The roadway below led us out of the cove and our wonderful Tennessee/Georgia adventure which is concluded here.   

John Morgan was in Salt Lake at the time of Joseph Standing's murder. His 1879 journal pages from mid-April to mid-August are missing, so he is silent on the tragedy. He and his wife had James Standing to their home in Salt Lake City for dinner on January 11, 1881.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for linking the past with the present. I especially enjoyed the Stover family home link.