The Carlisle, Kentucky, Precinct lands, in the map below, were described in 1882 as, “the surface is rolling, and even broken in places, rising into bluffs along the water courses. The soil is a strong limestone, red loam, rich and very productive in the southern and western part; the remaining portions are rough, poor and rocky. The best soil produces blue ash, the finest of poplar and black walnut, sugar tree, etc., etc. From the latter, sugar is extensively manufactured. The thin lands produce beech, the different kinds of oak, hackberry, hickory, and many other varieties, common to this section. A heavy growth of cane covered the land originally, but has all long since disappeared. It is drained by the Licking and its tributaries, several of which flow through the precinct, thoroughly draining the country and furnishing an abundance of water for stock and farm purposes.”
Among the land parcel descriptions, distributed to John Hamilton’s heirs, is this one to his son James:
“And also the Lott afsigned unto James Hamilton ‘Beginning at an elm, Thence 25 … poles to two chessnut a Buckeye; Thence east 51 poles to a stake one of the original corners of the whole survey. Thence … poles to a stake, thence West 47 poles to the beginning.’ Containing nine acres and three rods of Land.”
(To be continued.)
History of Bourbon, Scott, Harrison and Nicholas counties, Kentucky, edited by William Henry Perrin, 1882, pg. 351. US/CAN 976.94 H2p.
You may enjoy this Walking tour of historic Carlisle, Kentucky.