“About 1810 John Hamilton built a mill a little southwest of Carlisle. It was also a horse mill and did an extensive business on account of Mr. Hamilton’s reputation as miller.” See the Carlisle Town Platt at the bottom of this earlier post.
Some time prior to February 12, 1828, John Hamilton died. His land records revealed the names of his wife, children, and heirs. And his land descriptions placed his property in Carlisle near the Brushy Fork of the Hickston Creek.
Note: Thank you to John Hamilton descendant, Marjorie Morgan, for doing the research on this family in 1988, and sharing this family group sheet.
Two of John Hamilton's children were married by Rev. Barton W. Stone; Margaret Hamilton to John Jamison on July 21, 1808, and James Hamilton to Peggy Turner on October 4, 1810.
Concord Church and stood about two and a half miles southeast of where the town of Carlisle is located. Established about 1795, Reverend B. W. Stone was one of the first, if not the first, minister. He became pastor of the old Cane Ridge Meeting House in Bourbon County about 1789.
This map illustrates the land parcelled to John Hamilton's widow, Elizabeth, and each of his nine children. In the cases of his married daughters, the land is in their husband's names.
(To be continued.)
FHL #252,392, Nicholas Co. Marriages, FHL #252,371, pg. 259, Nicholas Co., KY deeds. History of Bourbon, Scott, Harrison nd Nicholas Counties, Kentucky, edited by William Henry Perrin, 1882, Art Guild Reportings, Inc., pg. 352. FHL US/CAN 976.94 H2p.