Sunday, January 24, 2010

John Hamilton and Helen Melvina Groesbeck Morgan. Part 18.

Continued from here.

On October 25-26 John Morgan met with District School Teachers of the County, and traveled to Nephi and back. While there he went to Bishop Udalls, met sister Ida Hunt, and attended Sunday School; the time was occupied in hearing remarks from the Ward Supt., songs, recitations, etc. After dinner at brother Paxmans, met at 1:30 p.m. and continued our exercises ... Following the meeting’s close, he traveled to the Depot, arriving just in time for the 6:40 p.m. train home.

Ever busy, John Morgan continues assisting others and spends considerable time in his office writing. Immediately following an October 30th round trip to Ogden, he arrived back in Salt Lake at 7:40 p.m. and went immediately to a meeting being held in the interest of sugar making … [While in Champaign, Ill., with Mellie, the preceding year, November 9, 1883, he visited a sugar factory and gained some information on the subject of its manufacture. That portion of their trip is posted here.]

On October 31st he was able to obtain additional money for brother B. H. Roberts, and sent it on to him.

He traveled to Coalville and Echo, Utah, November 2-3 on school and land business. The following morning, after working in his office, he traveled to Draper, Utah, where he attended two schools that were in excellent condition. For the next two days he worked in his office, ordered 15 bushel of potatoes of brother Jos. Horne. And on the 6th noted ... Big excitement over the Presidential Election. ...

On the 8th he traveled by train, with Elders Parry and Marks, to Nephi. After dinner with Bishop Udall they took the San Pete Valley train for Moroni, and were thereafter taken by carriage to Manti. They attended, and spoke at, Priesthood meeting, John Morgan spending the night at brother Maibens.

November 9
Woke up about 3:30 a.m. and tumbled about on the bed until after 7 o’clock and then got up at 8:30. Had breakfast and walked over to the Telegraph Office and received dispatch notifying me of the birth of a son to my wife, Mellie, at 7 minutes to 4 a.m. Wired reply and attended meeting in Stake Tabernacle at 10 a.m. and 2 p.m. The day was occupied in short speeches, songs, dialogues, and recitations. Dinner at brother Parrys. At 5 p.m. I started in company with Elder Marks in brother A. Hardy’s wagon for Moroni where we arrived at 9 p.m. and had super and remained over night with him.

An interesting family of three wives living pleasantly and lovingly together.

November 10
Took train at 9 a.m. and arrived in Nephi at 10:30 and went to Bishop Udalls for dinner and visited about town for an hour or two. Visited the district school Took train at 2:52 for home. Had a number of conversations on the way up and arrived at home at 6:40. Saw my wife and son immediately, all well …

November 14
Wrote a letter or two and attended to some business about the city. Filed my bills and stayed with Mellie considerably. Very pleasant weather … On November 19 he wrote that he’d received and answered a letter from brother Roberts. He continued work in the city through the next week.

November 22
Assisted H. G. [presumably Hyrum Groesbeck] in his books a while. Attended session of the Teachers Association at 11 a.m. which was fairly attended and a number of good ideas advanced. Carried Annie home and ordered 500 lbs. of bran.

November 23
Wrote letter to sister Bickington about coming down to store [sic. stay] with Annie. Attended meeting at the Tabernacle … After meeting Bishop A. Speirs invited me out to 10th Ward to preach. After supper H. Groesbeck and myself drove out and I spoke to the people on the second coming of the Savior. Returned home stopping a while with Annie …

On the 25th John traveled to Ogden to meet sister Bickington, but she failed to meet him

November 26
… At 4:30 went to Ogden again. Met sister Bickington and Clyde [Clyde Smith] all coming down together …
[Editor's note: I had never heard of Marriott, Utah before. It was where downtown Ogden, Utah now is. You may read more about it here. It appears Sister Bickington is the Ann Bickington listed above with her husband in Pioneers and Prominent Men of Utah. She was also the first Relief Society President of the Marriott Ward. This may also answer the question of who the Marriotts are, that Annie returned from staying with on April 25th, 1884 posted here.]

November 27
Thanksgiving day at home most of the time during the day.

On November 28, starting at 9 a.m., John Morgan drove to, and visited, the South Cottonwood School, the East Cottonwood District School, and the North Cottonwood School. In the evening he returned to the city and ... attended MacKnight’s lecture at Theatre …
November 29-December 1 John Morgan traveled to Tooele Stake ... in the interests of the Seventies and Sunday School.

December 2
Met Elder B. H. Roberts this a.m. and spent the greater part of the day with him. Called on Pres. Taylor and had a few words of general talk.

While at dinner, we examined and remodled [sic] a letter addressed to Pres. W. Woodruff relative to affairs in the Southern Mission, setting forth the true situation and facts connected therewith. Attended Council Meeting of the Pres. of Seventies at brother Eldredges at which meeting I presided. After Council, attended the Theatre and saw Geo. C. Mills in “Macbeth.”

(To be continued.)
From the John Hamilton Morgan Journal, Special Collections, Marriott Library, University of Utah. Anne Bickington, Pioneers and Prominet Men of Utah, p. 753. In 1911, when John and Mellie’s son, Nicholas Groesbeck, received his law degree, Mellie embroidered this beautiful red rose for her son. It is treasured by Nicholas G. Morgan's granddaughter, a symbol of her incredible great grandmother, Helen Melvina (Mellie) Groesbeck Morgan. Thanks to descendant Karen M. for sharing this picture.


  1. I found an online 1886 history of a sister who lived in Ogden, Utah, near 12th Street, who wrote “Grandma Bickington, was the midwife of the area and assisted in my birth.”

  2. This "Anne Bickington" of whom you speak is also a subject of my searching. She was also called "Grandma Bickington" in our family stories, but we can find no actual relationship. After my ancestor Thomas Burdett's wife Maria Herbert died, Thomas could not bear to adopt out his children and kind neighbor Anne Bickington took in two of his daughters, including my ancestor, Emma Maria Burdett. When Emma turned age sixteen, Helon Henry Alexander Tracy married her and then when her younger sister Mary Jane turned sixteen, also polygamously married her. Henry's mother, Nancy Naomi Alexander Tracy and Anne Bickington became good friends, so it was not surprising that when Anne was called as president of the Lynne-Marriott combined RS in 1868, Nancy served as her first counselor. I would like to know more about Anne--her birth, parents, marriage and death information and anything else. I did not know that Anne was an area midwife, so was grateful that you shared this information.