Wednesday, May 2, 2012

#3 Beryl Burt Sanborn. Part 4.

Pete and Beryl's grandchildren in front of their grandparents' home.
l-r; Suzanne, Gina (in front) Dawn [(behind her) Dawn Valene Silotti Newren 1952-2001], Jimmie [James Kevin Sanborn 1954-2000], Becky, Sherry, and Vicki Gwen Sanborn [ 1951-1999].

Beryl treasured her grandchildren. There were seven when this photo was taken in about 1963, ultimately there would be thirteen. Beryl was a modest woman and not inclined to boasting. She enjoyed reading a good book, being with her family, her favorite soap opera, quilting, and attending relief society.   

In the final year of her life she wrote, “We have 12 grandchildren and 8 great-grandchildren. Pete helps Richard at his antique shop so between times we are kept busy cutting lawns and keeping our garden weeded.” 
Beryl is the lady in the front on the right of the quilting frame.
This picture was undoubtedly taken in the Millcreek 1st Ward .

Beryl is the second lady from the left.
The other ladies in both pictures are unknown to me.

The garden! Pete and Beryl's garden was something to behold, encompassing most of their back and side lots; perfectly pruned rose bushes producing glorious roses, and peonies--huge peonies, and a bounty of vegetables. Produce enough for the family and neighbors. Traditionally the grandchildren sold much of the harvest to raise money for their school shoes and clothes. The annual ritual of the garden, the work  and the reward, is now fondly remembered by her grandchildren.

Beryl wrote, “The first time Pauline [Burt, her sister-in-law] had me go to R. S. [Relief Society] I had left beans on cooking and had to leave. I was secretary in R. S, then I was put in [as] organist for a while [James Burt purchased a piano for his children, and Beryl learned to play the piano as a girl]. Oral Greening was president and she asked me to cook & serve on workday. So I got my dear friends Leola Austin & Veda Danks to help so we were in charge of that for a year.”

Veda Danks and Beryl in Pete and Beryl's living room.

In 2004 Beryl’s descendants wrote their memories.

Daughter Marlene: “When I think of the years after my marriage and when my girls were little, I really know what a wonderful mother I had. I was so miserable during my pregnancies and Momma was always helping me.

“When I hurt my back doing yard work and had to stay in bed for a month Momma came up every day. If I had to take one of the girls to the doctors (which was often with Becky) she was my chaffer.

“During those years we were just barely getting by money wise, she would always buy me a dress for church.

“I had a huge ironing to do every week, so early every Tuesday morning she would come up with her iron and ironing board and help me do it. She always brought something nice for lunch. I know that is why I have always liked to iron. Whenever somebody in the ward needed help I have offered to do their ironing.”

Son-in-law, Gene:  “Every year for many years we would go to Payson [Utah] and hunt pheasant. We would bring home the pheasants along with some cotton tail rabbits, Beryl would cook a big meal of rabbit and pheasant for the whole family. (Next to the [Beryl’s] pot roast this was my second favorite meal). I think that her Thanksgiving dinners were a close third.
“Pete never seemed to get enough of yard work, he loved being outdoors and in his gardens. The way his yard looked with his flowers and the (raked) gravel driveway, was a testimony of this. Not to mention the best corn in the valley. Which brings us back to his love of hunting .... It seems that the pheasants loved Pete’s corn too. Pete would get his 22 rifle using a 22 short (a bullet which makes very little noise) standing inside his backdoor he would shoot at the pheasants .... A few minutes later Beryl would go out with a dishpan [to] hang out some clothes and come back in with dinner.

Daughter-in-law, Joanna: “Remember Grandpa’s Iris and Rose Gardens. They were the prettiest things on that street.

“Planting corn in the Spring and the harvesting it in about August and then letting the kids go door to door selling it for school clothes. It was the best and sweetest corn I have ever eaten.

“Nobody could fix pot roast like Grandma. It makes my mouth water now to think about it.

“I remember when Grandma and Aunt Leah [Sanborn] would go to Salt Lake maybe 2 times a month. They would have lunch and then take in a movie. (This was about when they started rating movies). Well, they went into the old Rialto Theatre on 3rd South. They got their tickets and proceeded in. The usher met them and explained that the show was x-rated. They said that was fine. About 10 minutes elapsed and 2 red faced women came out. Aunt Leah asked the Usher why he didn’t tell them it was a dirty movie. He said I told you that it was x-rated. They thought he meant the movie had been x-rayed.”

(To be concluded.)

No comments:

Post a Comment